Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Lions, Tigers, and TURTLES, Oh My!

Yesterday was our last full day on the west coast. Where did the time go. We arrived in San Diego in the early afternoon and headed straight to the San Diego Zoo. It was everything I heard it would be. The funny thing is, I've only really been to the San Antonio Zoo and of course now the San Diego Zoo so my zoo standards are probably pretty high since both are acclaimed. (I have been to the Austin "Zoo" which is actually an animal sanctuary so I'm not counting it) I think all zoos should be big like the San Antonio and San Diego zoos. It wasn't very crowed and the weather was perfect. We did spend a good 15-30 minutes watching the polar bear get her toy stuck under a rock and then try to get it out. Jessica has the moral was that if you keep trying at something you will eventually succeed. I'm not sure if that was an accurate moral to take from the situation since the bear kept using the same method and failing, but whatever. When I go to a zoo I want to see cats. The tigers were disappointing because they were sleeping but we got to watch the lions eat. We spent a lot of time with the monkeys. Hol now wants a monkey as a bet.

After the zoo we headed towards a beach. Since Dad had suggested that we go to La Jolla that is where we went. It was a beautiful beach. The water wasn't even that cold but we didn't suit up and go swim. We watched the surfer boys succeed and fail and then walked along the beach. Jessica finally got her pacific west coast sunset. We even ate our dinner at the Ale House which had a rooftop view of the ocean sunset. Our evening was still open. Our waitress suggested that we go to this bar, Miller's, that races turtles at night. This was a no brainer, we were going to go a bar and watch people race turtles. It was really cool but we had caught the last race of the night. It was kind of a fratty frat frat-kind of bar after the turtle race was over but Jess and Hol were pretty satisfied with the mason jars of beer they served.

Today we are headed home. We are dropping off Hol in Phoenix and then headed to Los Cruces. We have a lot of driving today, at least I've done it before and I know it's going to be super pretty. I'm a little sad it's almost all over but I might also be a little relieved too.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I am glad that you made it to La Jolla, see you soon.....watch the truckers on I 10 they move fast...........I 10 is the Major interstate between the West and the East.......Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete